Planned Parenthood says it will withdraw from the Department of Health and Human Services’s Title X program, which sends taxpayer money to give birth control to poorer Americans, unless a federal court rules on their behalf.
Earlier this year, the Trump administration passed a new federal rule that requires recipients of federal birth control funds to prove they are financially and physically separating those funds from abortion, and “prohibits the use of Title X funds to perform, promote, refer for, or support abortion as a method of family planning.”
As the nation’s largest abortion provider, Planned Parenthood previously received around $50 to $60 million from the $287 million Title X program each year. The abortion business sent a letter to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, hoping for the new rule to be overturned. Planned Parenthood says it will be forced to pull out on Aug. 19 if the court does not intervene.
In the lawsuit against HHS, in which Planned Parenthood is a plaintiff, the abortion provider argues the new Title X rule imposes “burdensome and costly impediments to the provision of services,” which would “substantially reduce the ability to provide those services.”
A spokesman from HHS’s Office of Population Affairs (OPA) said this claim demonstrates Planned Parenthood prioritizes abortion referrals over making the changes necessary to receive taxpayer funds for other birth prevention services.
“Like all Title X providers, Planned Parenthood has the option to comply with the 2019 Title X Final Rule, which faithfully implement the statutes, and continue to receive federal funding,” the spokesman said.
Full story at The Federalist.