Address 470 24th Avenue, San Francisco CA 94121
Phone number (415) 751-5275
Mass times Saturday vigil, 5 p.m. Sundays, 8 a.m., 9 a.m. (Cantonese) and 10:30 a.m. Weekdays, 8:30 a.m. Holy days, 8 a.m., 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
Music The vigil Mass has an organ and singing, the Sunday Chinese Mass has singing, and the Sunday 10:30 has a choir (adult and children’s choir, it alternates each Sunday). The choir sings many classical pieces.
Confessions Saturdays, 4-4:45 p.m.
Names of priests Father John Sakowski, pastor. Monsignor Fred Bitanga, in residence (retired). Father Lawrence Gould, in residence. Father Sakowski is Polish, was recently installed as St. Monica’s pastor; he serves as pastor of another parish. San Francisco has a shortage of priests (which will hopefully change under their new bishop, Salvadore Cordeleone), and St. Monica’s is part of a new model for the archdiocese in which they share a pastor with a neighboring parish.
School Yes, K-8th.
Special parish groups/activities Parents Club, St. Vincent de Paul Society, Helping Hands (visits shut-ins), rosary Monday – Saturday, 8 a.m.
Fellow parishioners Originally built to serve Irish and Italians immigrants, many in the congregation today are Asian.
Parking Park on the school playground on the weekends.
Cry room Yes, in the back.
Additional observations St. Monica Church is one of San Francisco’s beautiful old parishes, located in the Richmond district of the city. The parish was founded in 1911. The current church was built in 1918, and the parish school opened the following year. The church was improved throughout the years, in 1926, 30 stained glass windows were added depicting the life of Jesus, and in the early 1950s, stained glass windows were added depicting the life of Mary. The organ was installed in 1936, and the church was doubled in size in 1951. In its heyday, 50 years ago, it served 4,000 families. Today, it serves about 400. It has a magnificent interior and exterior. Highlights inside include its stained glass windows, marble floors and altar rail, and altar.