Catholic donor denies he consulted on Viganò allegations

The New York Times claimed that Archbishop Viganò “privately shared his plan to speak out with” Tim Busch of the Napa Institute

Timothy Busch. (Credit: Photo courtesy Catholic University via RNS.)

Timothy Busch, a conservative Catholic lawyer and donor, is denying claims he was consulted on a letter written last month by Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò alleging, among other things, that Pope Francis ignored accusations of sexual abuse by a prominent cleric in Washington, D.C.

Viganò’s 11-page letter alleges Francis rescinded sanctions placed on then-Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, the former archbishop of Washington, by Pope Benedict XVI following allegations of sexual abuse of adult seminarians. Many have noted that if McCarrick was, in fact, under sanctions, he clearly defied them regularly under Benedict, who did not appear to enforce them publicly.

The letter by Viganò, a former Vatican diplomat who has been openly critical of Francis, has been received as the most public breach in a long-brewing culture war within the Catholic Church over the abuse crisis, as well as issues such as tolerance of homosexuality in the Church and the status of divorced Catholics.

The letter was distributed by conservative-leaning outlets such as the National Catholic Register and was allegedly written with the assistance of prominent conservative Catholic businessmen and writers.

An Aug. 27 report by The New York Times claimed that Viganò “privately shared his plan to speak out with” Busch, a Californian known in Catholic circles as a prominent funder. He is a co-founder of the Napa Institute, a group described by National Catholic Reporter as embracing “a mix of conservative theology and libertarian economics.”

But in an email obtained by Religion News Service and addressed to “constituents” of the Napa Institute, Busch refuted reports he personally consulted Viganò on his letter.

“Contrary to some erroneous media speculation, I did not preview a copy of or in any way participate in drafting Archbishop Vigano’s testimony, nor was I consulted in any capacity about his testimony,” Busch wrote on Sept. 5.

“I was in touch with Archbishop Vigano several weeks ago to inquire about his involvement in the 2014 Saint Paul-Minneapolis investigation referenced in the shorter statement he released on August 27, 2018, a couple days after his 11-page testimony,” it continues. “Our discussion did not involve the contents of the 11-page testimony that he released on August 25, 2018.”

Busch’s denial is notable given that the National Catholic Register is owned by the Eternal Word Television Network – an organization where Busch sits on the board of governors. According to The New York Times report, Busch claimed the publication’s leadership personally assured him that Benedict XVI had confirmed Viganò’s account.

Busch did not repeat that claim in his email. Instead, he argued that “although I cannot validate any of Archbishop Vigano’s personal experiences recited in his testimony, I can confirm that, in my interactions with him, I have found him to be an honest man.”

Full story at Crux News.

Comments

comments

To add a comment, click on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ icons OR go further down to the bottom of comments to the Post your comment box.

Comments

  1. Sept. 10 National Catholic Register
    The Council of Cardinals advising Pope Francis on reform of the Roman Curia issued a statement this evening saying the Vatican is preparing “necessary clarifications” about accusations that the Pope covered up the abuse of Archbishop McCarrick.
    The Council said it expressed its “full solidarity” with Pope Francis “in the face of what has happened in the past few weeks.”

  2. helen wheels says:

    For the record, I did not consult with Vigano
    prior to the release of his letter.
    So Mr. Busch is in good company.
    and by the way,
    MORE fake news from the New York Times.

COMMENTS POLICY: Comments are limited to 750 characters and will be truncated at 750. Comments should not contain offensive or libelous language. Please strive to be civil. All comments are subject to approval by our moderator and to editing as the moderator deems appropriate. Inclusion of your email address is optional.

Speak Your Mind

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

COMMENTS POLICY: Comments are limited to 750 characters and will be truncated at 750. Comments should not contain offensive or libelous language. Please strive to be civil. All comments are subject to approval by our moderator and to editing as the moderator deems appropriate. Inclusion of your email address is optional.